When I was trying out instruments for band in the 5th grade, I was interested in the trumpet and saxophone. Those two instruments always seem to get the coolest parts and solos, and thus were more recognizable to me at the time. However, I couldn't get any sound out of the saxophone, and the trumpet was very difficult for me to play. I ended up settling for the trombone. We had a trombone at home because my dad played in high school, so I didn't have to rent or buy a new instrument. Plus I could easily make sound with the instrument. Because of these reasons, it made the most sense for me to play the trombone. I ended up playing the instrument all the way through high school. I never fully appreciated how cool of an instrument it is, however, until I was much older. Its versatile range allows for deep lows and high notes. Obviously the slide allows it to produce unique sounds as well. With my own ties to the instrument in mind, I was instantly interested in the game Trombone Champ. I was able to pick up the game for $10 for the Switch. Hilarity followed.
Trombone Champ is similar to Guitar Hero in principal. While a song plays, "notes" scroll across the screen and you use the joy stick to move the "slide" out or in to match the notes on screen. That's where the similarity ends, however. While Guitar Hero strives for perfection, Trombone Champ leans more towards the side of fun. What results is a game that generates a lot of laughs but is really quite challenging. Using practice, timing, and talent, you can get really good at Guitar Hero. I can't imagine anyone is all that good at Trombone Champ. The notes come fast and the controls aren't all that accurate. The game is more goofy than serious. With that being said, I enjoyed playing it...for a bit. It's probably worth the $10, but I wouldn't pay much more for it. I played through all of the songs once (and there are quite a bit of songs) and that was enough to experience the game and get a few laughs.

No comments:
Post a Comment