Much like Jessica Jones, prior to the Netflix series being migrated to Disney+, I was unfamiliar with the character Luke Cage. He did appear in season 1 of Jessica Jones, so I was somewhat familiar with him by the time I watched the first season of his own dedicated show. I really like Mike Colter's portrayal of the Luke Cage character. He's probably my second favorite Marvel Defenders character at the moment, behind Daredevil.
Before discussions on the first season of the show, let's take the time to discuss Luke Cage the character. He was falsely imprisoned and while in jail underwent experimental treatments which resulted in super strength and impenetrable skin. This means traditional weapons such as guns can't really harm him. Fairly typical comic book superhero stuff. However, Luke mostly stays to himself and doesn't flaunt his powers. The show takes place in Harlem, and has strong gangster-like vibes, which I like a lot. Luke becomes involved with the gangsters after one of them kills his friend Pop. Of course, the main gangster bad guy happens to be Luke's half-brother Diamondback, and the show plays on the backstory of the two. The other interesting angle that is played is with the police, as they try to figure out if Luke is one of the bad guys or not. My only criticism of the show is that at times the pacing is a bit slow. The first season had 13 episodes, and I feel like it probably could have had 10 episodes and told the same story.
On an end note, season 1 featured quite a lot of Rosario Dawson's character Claire Temple. Claire was briefly in season 1 of Jessica Jones, but I'm most familiar with her from Daredevil. I didn't really expect Claire to be involved much (if at all) in Luke Cage, so having her character have such a large role was an unexpected pleasant surprise.


No comments:
Post a Comment