Monday, December 15, 2025

House of the Dragon (Season 2)

 



One of the challenges of watching modern TV series is the duration between seasons. House of the Dragon season 1 came out in 2022, and season 2 came out in 2024. I didn't watch season 2 until 2025, however, making a full 3 years in between seasons.  Subsequently, I remember very little from season 1 in terms of the details. I did remember that the king dies, setting off a race for the Iron Throne. I also remember that the timeline of season 1 was rapid, with some of the main characters starting off as kids and transitioning to adults, all within the same season. I also remember there being a lot of childbirth scenes, which is odd. I also remember thinking season 1 was good, but not as good as Game of Thrones.

I was able to read a summary of season 1 and got caught up quickly. I must say, I enjoyed season 2 more than I remember enjoying season 1. This show is like a light version of Game of Thrones. The concept is the same - houses fighting for the Iron Throne. The main difference is that the number of houses fighting for the throne are much smaller on The House of the Dragon than on Game of Thrones. In The House of the Dragon, only two houses are involved: Team Green and Team Black. Westeros is such a great setting for a show. Having just re-watched Game of Thrones, I enjoyed being back in the Red Keep, Dragonstone, Harrenhal, etc. With that being said, one of the most challenging aspects of this show is learning the characters. You get so used to Cersei, the Kingslayer, and all of the other characters in Westeros in Game of Thrones that it takes a bit of an adjustment period to acclimate to the characters in The House of the Dragon. Secondly, there are several Targaryen characters in this show, all of which have very similar names, and it takes a bit of time to learn which character is which. This is one reason why I'm not giving a recap of the season. The characters can be very confusing. But once I learned them, I started to really enjoy the show. I'm a sucker for Westeros, the Iron Throne, and dragons. This show is maybe not quite as good or grand as Game of Thrones, but it is quite good overall. I'm looking forward to season 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment