Monday, May 25, 2026

Timepiece Blueprint - Year 1 - A (Themed) Chronograph



Historically I've gravitated towards chronographic watches. I've always found them visually appealing to look at, and I think they're just cool to be honest. In more recent times I've found watches with simpler dials more appealing. Watches with less complications are sleeker and pair better with dress clothes, and honestly are easier to read. With that being said, however, I think every watch collection needs a chronographic watch, and this watch checks off two boxes in my revised collection: (1) a chronograph, and (2) a themed watch.

There are numerous themed watches available. Breitling has NFL watches, there are lots of Snoopy collaborations, and possibly the most famous is Omega with their James Bond watches. I'm a huge Indycar fan, and a huge fan of the Indy 500, so the Tag Heuer F1 Chronograph Indy 500 Special Edition is the perfect themed watch for me. It's an homage on my wrist to my favorite and one of the most famous sporting events in the world, made by a watch company in Tag Heuer with a rich and deep history in racing.

The watch features the Indianapolis Motor Speedway "wing & wheels" logo on the bottom complication at 6 o'clock. The second hand is in the complication between 2 and 3 o'clock. It features quartz movement, which on the one hand is considered less "fancy" as mechanical movement, but on the other hand is more reliable, especially in a watch that you may not wear daily. The red hand that looks like a second hand and the complication to the right of the watch are chronographic time keeping portions of the watch. The face is black and is surrounded by a red band, giving it a sporty and racy appearance. The 11 is also highlighted in red, paying attention to the year 1911 which was when the first Indy 500 was ran, which is a nice touch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment