Monday, June 1, 2026

Timepiece Blueprint - Year 2 - A Dress (& GADA?) Watch



As I've grown older, I find myself navigating away from chronographs and leaning more towards watches with simpler faces and less complications. Maybe I'm entering my "old man watch" phase, but honestly I just like their sleek look and find them easier to read. Additionally, I wear dress clothes most days of the week at work, and they pair more nicely with dress clothes than a chronograph. Don't get me wrong, every watch collection needs a nice chronograph (or two), but on a day-to-day basis I find myself wanting to wear a dressier watch.

A dress watch was always on my watch blueprint, though not necessarily in year two, and not necessarily this particular watch. I was searching for a GADA watch, a watch that is the pinnacle of any watch collection. GADA stands for "go anywhere, do anything", and is a watch that is versatile enough to wear with dress clothes during the week while at the same time can go on weekend adventures and not feel out of place. As soon as I discovered the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra I liked it. There is popular opinion online that it is a GADA watch, so I added it to my blueprint for this category. After seeing it in person, however, the watch is much dressier than I expected. I've thus shifted my blueprint around and made this my dress watch, opening a slot for a potentially more sporty watch. 

This watch looks and feels nice. It has a shiplap background, representing the deck of a yacht, a nod to it being a "Seamaster" model. Its large face is very easy to read, as is the date complication. The bracelet shines, and it fits perfectly under the cuff of a sleeve. I suppose you could wear it with anything, but I think it feels at home with a nice dress shirt. It checks a couple of boxes in my watch collection list as well. It's the first mechanical watch I've owned. Without going off on a tangent about mechanical watches, I've always been fascinated with their second hand movement and the complexity of how they function, so I was very excited to own one. Having owned one now for a little over a month, I will say the power reserve is a stat to pay attention to. This watch has a 60 hour power reserve listed, but I'd say it's more like a 48-60 hour reserve, making keeping it running over the weekend a challenge. Regardless, every time I wind it up and get it going, I feel like I'm wearing somewhat of an engineering marvel. The movements are just so cool. The second major box this watch checks is that it is an Omega. For as long as I can remember I've liked Omega watches. I was planning on going into my fascination with them in this post, but I think I'll save it for a subsequent post so that this one doesn't get too long. I have enough to say about Omega watches for them to have their own post.

No comments:

Post a Comment