Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lets Go Red Wings!

I honestly haven't watched too much hockey this year. I know the Red Wings have struggled all season long and have had a ton of injuries to key members of the team and subsequently are in danger of missing the playoffs. I think all of the hoopla surrounding the Olympics has put me in the mood to watch some hockey again because all of a sudden I have the urge, completely out of the blue.

The season is 75% over, and the Wings are battling for the final spot for the playoffs in the West, a position they nor their fans are used to being in. They picked up two big wins this weekend, one at home against Nashville, and another on the road in Chicago. Out of the 6-10 games I have seen this year, they definately played their best hockey over the weekend. They are also the healthiest they've been all season.

Ten of their remaining 17 games are at home, and they've been very good at the Joe this year. Pretty much all of their games are against key Western Conference opponents, including tonight against Calgary. It should be interesting following the season down the final stretch to the playoffs. I really think they will make the playoffs, and from there who knows what will happen? The Wings have a lot of talent on their team - remember, they were in the Stanley Cup Finals last year and should have won the cup again. I really feel like they gave that victory to Pittsburgh more than Pittsburgh won. If the season ended today, they would play San Jose in the first round, and San Jose always chokes in the playoffs. The one thing that concerns me is their goal tending. I am not too familiar with this Howard guy they have in net. Of course, with the exception of the Dominator in 2002, Detroit has a pretty long history of having questions at the goalie position and they usually do OK. It should be an exciting final month of hockey.

1 comment:

  1. I caught that DET/CHI game on Sunday...that was pretty wild flow in that game.

    If the Wings get in at the 7 or 8 spot, the 2 or 1 seed will probably be pissed...not much of an opening round reward to have to face that highly experienced Detroit team.

    I don't follow enough to know much about this new guy in net, but R.C. told me that he thinks the kid can be the real deal...whether or not he can hold up through a deep playoff run at this stage of his career, with inexperience as a potential issue is anyone's guess.

    ReplyDelete