I first heard of this band a few years ago because my friend Eddie was a big fan. I never really listened to them, however, until recently when Craig suggested them. I downloaded their discography and have listened to it a few times now. My favorite album is "Red of Tooth and Claw." From the very first song, vocalist Adam Turla's booming voice surprises you with a Johny Cash-esque baritone pitch, and I was hooked. There are a few songs that start to go down the path of a Blink-182 type punk rock style. Luckily, it is only a few songs and neither of the songs travel too far down this path. Instead, the whole album plays like a soundtrack to a kick ass western movie that you don't want to end. The band also features a cello which gives it a unique sound for rock music. Pitchfork be damned, Murder by Death is a rock band worth checking out.
They have a new album that was released on April 6, but I haven't had an opportunity to check it out yet. Also, the band originates in Bloomington, so it is cool that they have a local connection.
No comments:
Post a Comment