
I only watch a small handful of movies each year. I think most movies are pretty bad and I really don't have the attention span to sit for 120+ mins and watch something that sucks. With that being said, when the first Transformers movie came to DVD I decided to watch it completely for the Megan Fox factor. I had quite low expectations for the movie, but was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it, especially all of the bickering between Sam's parents.
With that background information, I decided to put Transformers 2 on my list of new movies to watch. I knew it wouldn't be very enjoyable. The first one was much better than my expectations, and considering this is a sequel I knew it wouldn't be as good as the first, and I was right. The first 40 minutes or so of the movie were pretty decent, up to the point where Sam goes to college. At that point the movie starts to fail as the plot becomes pencil thin. Without revealing too much of the story, Sam starts to have auditory hallucinations while at college that take the characters on this long and boring quest to discover what they mean. Once they acquire the knowledge of the symbols he is seeing, there is the inevitable showdown between Optimus Prime and the bad guys, a battle that lasts probably around 40 minutes, no joke. It was so long and drawn out, I fast forwarded through the last 20 minutes. In addition to the weak plot, the movie clocks in at around 140 minutes. In my opinion, there are very few stories that are good enough to keep you entertained and necessitate lasting that long. If you can't say what you need to say in 2 hours or less, chances are you are rambling.
On the positive side, there is a fair amount of Megan Fox prancing (see below). And the visuals are good, but as far as I am concerned, this is 2010 and I pretty much expect good visuals in a movie at this point. And if I really want to see Megan Fox, I can just go to the internet and not waste an entire evening.
I'd say this movie is sitting somewhere in the C/C- neighborhood for me. I have a pretty strict grade scale for movies, with the C sticking to its strict academic meaning of average. Sarah always complains that I am too strict with my movie reviews, but the way I look at it, if I give every Joe Blow movie out there an A, what would I give great movies like The Godfather?
This is SNL video is somewhat relevant to the topic and I find it quite amusing.
No comments:
Post a Comment