I went to my family doctor Monday with mixed results. I knew the spot on my thumb wouldn't be gone after Monday's appointment, but I was kind of hoping she would be more confident with her approach. She kind of had a "we can try and see what happens" approach, which I know is being realistic, but I was hoping for a more optimistic outlook. She has a freezing machine that is more powerful than what you can buy at the pharmacy, but isn't as powerful as what dermatologists use (liquid nitrogen). I decided to give her a chance and use her freeze. I will try a few rounds and see how it goes, otherwise I am going to ask to be referred to a dermatologist to try to get rid of this thing. She also put me on a healthy dose of vitamin C to help boost my immune system. This is obviously going to be a multi-week process so I am hoping to show some progress each week. I am hoping that if I follow up properly we can get rid of this over time.
As far as the toe goes, she didn't have much to say about it. She said it can take a year or so for the nail to grow completely out (already knew that) and that most of the nail looks dead (already knew that). She said she would look at it again at my next appointment and maybe put me on an antifungal because I might have an infection preventing the nail from growing properly. Who knows? The fungal medication takes several months to completely remove the infection, so it's going to be winter maybe before this thing is gone.
The spot on my thumb is my number one priority as people can see it - I usually have my feet pretty well covered. If I end up going to the dermatologist I will probably have them look at my feet too, though I might have to go to a podiatrist. Luckily we have a lot of them at the hospital I work at so I shouldn't have a problem finding one.
We can still drill out the blood pool. Only a couple of weeks away.
ReplyDeleteUPDATE: One week later the spot on my thumb looks much better. I am really looking forward to the next treatment and hopefully getting rid of this thing.
ReplyDeleteWhat about the toe? Do we get to drill it?
ReplyDeleteNo changes with the toe. I am a little afraid of your enthusiasm for drilling...
ReplyDeleteI had to do this functional capacity exam today for my new job. Man, I am way out of shape. I mean, I completed all of the tasks without any problems but I definitely had to use more energy today than if I would have taken the test 4 years ago.
ReplyDelete