Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Times They Are a-Changin'

My vacation between finishing school and starting residency basically ends tomorrow as we start residency orientation at the hospital. We spend all day Thursday and Friday going through ACLS re-certification. We get the weekend off, then resume with orientation on Monday. The remaining part of orientation lasts until noon on Wednesday. We then officially begin residency the next day on Thursday. I have been at this hospital enough times that I already know most of the people here and I know my way around and stuff like that, so most of this orientation I think is going to be telling me stuff that I already know. However, I really hope they spend some time with us explaining our responsibilities and what is expected of us and stuff like that. I am still a little uncertain of that aspect.

I received my schedule the other day. I start off with internal medicine, which doesn't exactly thrill me. IM is probably one of my least favorite subjects. However, it is a necessary evil and something I have to be knowledgeable in. The attending I will be working with works a lot of hours. I am talking like 14 or 15 hours a day. I don't know if I am going to be expected to be there all day or if I am just going to work my 12 hours and then let whoever is on call that night take over when their shift begins. Either way, I am going from a mostly empty schedule here in June to a completely full schedule in July. While I like a little time off just like everyone else, I am really ready to get busy again. Taking a few days off here and there is completely fine, but I haven't worked much for the past 5 or 6 weeks. From a strictly academic standpoint, a lot changes in 5 weeks. I was in the doctor's office just yesterday and saw an ad for a new arthritis medication that I have never heard of before. Probably just came out. Things in medicine change fast. Plus I know I am not as good at my job now as I was before this break. I am definitely a use it or lose it person, so the longer I am off, the worse off I am. From a personal standpoint, I don't think I handle all of this free time all that well. I can keep myself entertained for a week or two, but anything beyond that I start to get bored. I am actually looking forward to getting the ball rolling on all of this and staying busy and keeping a low profile.

I would like to thank Sarah for planning the party on Saturday, my parents for hosting and helping with everything, and everyone for coming out and enjoying a wonderful Saturday afternoon. I had a nice time seeing and talking to everyone. Thanks for coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment