Sarah and I went to Churchill Downs on Saturday with some of her aunts and cousins. Neither one of us had been to the famed track before and be both had a fantastic time. We got there early before the gates opened so we decided to head to the museum to kill some time. The museum was very nice and I found several exhibits which I found to be quite interesting and informative. I know so very little about horse racing that even defining "yearling" and "colt" was interesting to me. They have everything on display at the museum from famous hats worn by ladies in the crowd to jockey uniforms to memorabilia from past Derbies. Probably one of the most interesting things for me was the pedigree chart they had showcasing all of the offspring from Northern Dancer, one of the most famous sires in thoroughbred racing history. He has several offspring that have won major races, including the Kentucky Derby. At one point during his stud career his fees were up to $1,000,000 per session which I find to be incredible.
After the museum we went up to our seats. Sarah's aunt Pamela was able to get us seats in Millionaire's Row (the same place the Queen sat when she attended the Derby) through her association with the Kentucky Colonels. We sat in this big banquet hall complete with a band, bar, buffet, and everything. It was kind of amusing because even though we were at a sporting event it felt more like a wedding reception. Of course we all had to try a mint julep, the signature drink of the Derby. It was loaded with bourbon and honestly I wasn't a huge fan of the drink. It was a bit too stout for my taste. I enjoyed the Hoak Lilly better, which apparently is the signature drink for the day before the Derby. Every thirty minutes or so we would hear the horn signifying that the horses were going to the gates then we would all mingle outside to watch the race. Once the race was over (they only last a few minutes) we would go back inside to chow down some more food (and drinks).
Besides eat we would also place our bets between races. I hate gambling but even I got into the spirit. The race guide was information overload for placing bets. It listed the horse's size and record, jockey's size and record, when the horse last worked out, even the medications the horse was on. It was amazing. Sarah and I won about 50% of the time. I was just betting $2 and $5 dollar bets so it was all minuscule stuff, but it made the racing much more fun because it gave you someone to pull for during the race. Despite all of the information in the guide, we made our bets based on the horse's names. The off-the-wall names are one of my favorite parts of horse racing.
Despite knowing nothing about horse racing, everyone had a really good time. It is a place filled with tradition, a unique sporting event (what other sports event do you wear a tie to?), and a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I was really surprised how much I enjoyed this place and hope to go back sometime in the future.
I really want to make the trip to the Kentucky Derby at some point in the future. It's somewhat surprising that I've never been, given the relatively close proximity of the facility to my place of residence.
ReplyDelete@BoilerPip: I agree completely. I don't even particularly like horses or horse racing but I found the whole place to be quite interesting and entertaining. There is a lot of history and culture there and it is really a unique event.
ReplyDelete