I had to log out of Ubuntu and into Windows 7 for the first time in over a month. Why? I have a powerpoint presentation I am giving to a large crowd that I need to work on. Technically OpenOffice can edit powerpoint files (or I could probably install Office using Wine) but I've already created this powerpoint in Windows and since it is going to be used at a conference I don't want to risk any formatting issues.
Anyway, the point of this post is to give exhibit 1 of about 100 as to why I abandoned Windows. When I logged in, I spent 25 minutes downloading updates to 10 different things (Windows, Firefox, Java, Adobe, antivirus software, the list goes on and on.). Then I had to reboot, which required installing the Windows updates, rebooting, then configuring the Windows updates. After messing around with everything for about a half an hour, I finally gave up and decided that I would work on the presentation at another time. It's really quite ridiculous.
Of course, all of this can be filed under the "First World Problems" category. Things could be worse. I could be starving (just ate a blizzard) or living without central heat. It's like "Hey, you know the bluetooth in my Audi doesn't work very well at all." First world problems...
Chris Hardwick gets credit for this post title.
Between waiting a month and then updating on the 2nd tuesday ment that you would have the max updates to be installed. Updates usually comes out on the 2nd tuesday. I only had 3 to be updated yesturday and it didn't require a reboot.
ReplyDeleteI keep using windows basically because I'm too lazy to learn anything else, which I'm sure is just the type of thing Microsoft loves. Although I have dabbled into the world of Apple the past couple of years with iPhone(s) and the associated acts. That's about as close as I have came to changing up from the norm.
ReplyDelete@Joseph: Yeah I know waiting a while in between updates means there is more to download so I halfway expected this before I even logged into Windows. When I got to my computer tonight (still in Windows because I am still working on the presentation) there were more updates to download, lol.
ReplyDelete@BoilerPip: What Windows has in its favor is market share. I am basically using Windows now because their formats are the easiest to transport from computer to computer since everyone uses Powerpoint. Like I said, could've done this using OpenOffice but didn't want to risk it with an important presentation.
On a side note, Windows 7 seems to be pretty stable and easy to use overall. I like Macs overall but don't know if I'm a big enough DB to get one yet. Thus far the free Ubuntu works well for me.
Just spent the last twenty minutes getting an update for Adobe required for Windows 7, lol.
ReplyDelete