
After living in Erie, PA for a couple of winters you really gain some perspective on winter weather. I was at the dentist a few weeks ago and they had the Today Show on and a weather reporter was standing at the intersection of Peach and I-90 in Erie reporting on the snowfall. There had been 36 inches of snowfall the previous week there. That is more snow than Indy gets all winter. That's why when we get 3-4 inches of snow here I really don't think much of it. Erie could easily get that much snow in an hour. The other thing is that here the snow mostly is gone off the roads by the next day whereas in Erie it wouldn't be gone until April. The biggest difference in winter weather here is ice. We get lots more ice here which I think is actually quite a bit more dangerous for traveling than snow.
Below is a picture of my Grand Prix covered in snow in Erie. Sarah and I had spent the night at a friends house and the next day when we went to retrieve my car this is what I saw. The funny thing is that as we approached the car Sarah said "Look at that loser's car!" and it turned out to be my car! One of my favorite pictures from that year.

Sarah and I watched Christmas Vacation this weekend to put us in the Christmas mood. What a great movie. I like the old vacation movies quite a bit and Christmas Vacation is no exception. So many classic lines. One of the better Christmas movies in my opinion. I think I am going to make it an annual tradition to watch it every Christmas.
My mom had a birthday over the weekend so I would like to wish her a happy birthday as well!
What about the Leg Lamp Movie (Christmas Story). I thought that was the must watch movie.
ReplyDeleteI've never been as big of a fan of that movie as a lot of other people. I prefer Christmas Vacation.
ReplyDeleteI haven't visited in awhile, so I'm starting a mini-posting spree on recent topics.
ReplyDeleteSnow and ice are entirely different animals. With the appropriately equipped vehicle, you can still travel through significant snow accumulations with no more inconvenience than a little additional travel time. However, even a quarter of an inch of ice lends itself to treacherous conditions, essentially crippling travel capabilities.
I absolutely love NL Christmas Vacation. It's not just one of my favorite Christmas movies, but easily makes my short list of all-time favorites. So many amusing scenes / dialogues in that movie.
"What are you looking at, Clark?"
"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn, the clean, cool chill of the holiday air, and an asshole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my storm drain."
"MERRY CHRISTMAS! SHITTER WAS FULL..."
"Ah, of course...have you checked our shitters, honey?"
LOL. I have a hard time picking a favorite between NLCV and the original NL Vacation. I like European Vacation too, but it was a slight notch below the other two, IMHO. Regardless, Chevy Chase was comedy gold in his prime.
Not only are there several great lines in the movie, but just all of the stuff with Uncle Eddie and the lights on the house. Just a really memorable movie.
ReplyDeleteChristmas and Summer Vacation are absolute gems in the comedy genre. Add-in Caddyshack and you have three of Chevy Chase's finest movies.