@Joseph: I agree completely. They obviously have no idea what they are talking about. They picked 11 Big East teams to be in the tournament and for the most part they all sucked (except UConn). Every game Charles Barkley sits there at halftime and says the other team will wear down Butler, and that has yet to happen. Every game he says this, including last night against VCU.
I was shocked at how much Butler seemed to tense up when the spotlight turned on them with a legitimate chance to win the whole thing. It's an entirely different story when you make almost a complete 180 from playing with house money to playing with the pressure of a realistic expectation of winning it all.
Also, what a total indictment on the sham system that is college football. The basketball tourney isn't completely perfect, but with the current format, the "Butlers" of the college football world will never get the opportunity that the Bulldogs have these past two seasons.
But I digress...hats off to Butler. Keeping things in the proper perspective, what they've done in the past two seasons is phenomenal. They've accomplised as much as Michigan's vaunted "fab five," and as opposed to the gaping holes in the rafters at Ann Arbor, I'm guessing if I stroll over to Hinkle Fieldhouse ten years from now, their two final four banners will still be hanging.
I had a huge comment typed and blogger messed up and deleted it. In summary, UConn played terrible too. Butler could have shot only 25% and probably would've won. However, they didn't and you'd have a hard time beating a girls varsity team shooting 18%. It was just an ugly game all around and a bad way to end the season. Unfortunately this Butler team will probably be remembered for this game instead of their amazing accomplishment of reaching back-to-back championship games.
Just because they did this back to back years, people will be expecting this frequently from Butler...won't happen.
I hear all this stuff about Butler becoming the "Duke of the Midwest" and I think that's largely local pipe dream.
I see them much more as a parallel to 1975 Loogootee. That is to say, a tremedous run to be proud off, but 25 years from now, they will still have never made it that far again.
When do they play?
ReplyDeleteNoticed that your current rotation is Ambulatory Medicine. Does Zombie medicine fall under this?
ReplyDeleteI don't get it, Dad. :/
ReplyDeleteDoesn't Ambulatory mean that the patients can walk? Zombies are the walking dead?
ReplyDelete@Joseph: Ambulatory medicine is just a fancy term for outpatient medicine. That still doesn't clarify your comment about zombies, lol.
ReplyDeleteI really expect Butler to win Monday night. They are that good.
I love the onion:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/butler-bulldogs-inspire-thousands-of-tall-goonyloo,19878/
I get what you're saying now, Dad! We use that term in insurance with your definition. Lol to the zombie comment now that I get it. :)
ReplyDeleteWas watching SportsCenter this morning. I love how every single commentator picked UConn to win.
ReplyDeleteSarah: Does that mean that zombies can get insurance?
ReplyDeleteAkish: What do they know? They didn't pick Butler to get this far. Go Butler!!
I'll give insurance to anybody who will pay for it, lol. What kind of businesses would zombies run? Brains-R-Us?
ReplyDelete@Joseph: I agree completely. They obviously have no idea what they are talking about. They picked 11 Big East teams to be in the tournament and for the most part they all sucked (except UConn). Every game Charles Barkley sits there at halftime and says the other team will wear down Butler, and that has yet to happen. Every game he says this, including last night against VCU.
ReplyDeleteWell that was disappointing. One of the ugliest basketball games I've ever seen.
ReplyDeleteI was shocked at how much Butler seemed to tense up when the spotlight turned on them with a legitimate chance to win the whole thing. It's an entirely different story when you make almost a complete 180 from playing with house money to playing with the pressure of a realistic expectation of winning it all.
ReplyDeleteAlso, what a total indictment on the sham system that is college football. The basketball tourney isn't completely perfect, but with the current format, the "Butlers" of the college football world will never get the opportunity that the Bulldogs have these past two seasons.
But I digress...hats off to Butler. Keeping things in the proper perspective, what they've done in the past two seasons is phenomenal. They've accomplised as much as Michigan's vaunted "fab five," and as opposed to the gaping holes in the rafters at Ann Arbor, I'm guessing if I stroll over to Hinkle Fieldhouse ten years from now, their two final four banners will still be hanging.
I had a huge comment typed and blogger messed up and deleted it. In summary, UConn played terrible too. Butler could have shot only 25% and probably would've won. However, they didn't and you'd have a hard time beating a girls varsity team shooting 18%. It was just an ugly game all around and a bad way to end the season. Unfortunately this Butler team will probably be remembered for this game instead of their amazing accomplishment of reaching back-to-back championship games.
ReplyDeleteJust because they did this back to back years, people will be expecting this frequently from Butler...won't happen.
ReplyDeleteI hear all this stuff about Butler becoming the "Duke of the Midwest" and I think that's largely local pipe dream.
I see them much more as a parallel to 1975 Loogootee. That is to say, a tremedous run to be proud off, but 25 years from now, they will still have never made it that far again.
Until NCAA goes class basketball style, that is.
ReplyDelete