Thursday, June 30, 2011

Climbing the Ladder

Today was my final day doing OB. Tomorrow I switch to internal medicine (again!?!). For the most part I am ready to move on. This is mostly because I am ready to switch back to working days. I don't know if your body ever really gets used to working nights and sleeping days. It just seems like you are fighting nature when you do this. Plus I am ready to not spend two hours a day in the car commuting. On the other hand, however, I do enjoy OB quite a bit so it's kind of sad to see it go. I delivered over 50 babies this month which is pretty darn good I think. I don't know when I'll do OB again. I am thinking of applying for the Maternity Care fellowship at Methodist Hospital once I'm finished with residency. That decision hasn't been made yet, just something I have in the back of my mind.

Focusing on the big picture, tomorrow I transition from a first year resident to a second year resident. I have more clinic days this year along with more electives in my schedule. It's a little scary because soon I'll be on my own completely. I am in the process of applying for an unrestricted medical license (my current license is classified as "residency permit" meaning I can only practice within the confines of my residency program). This will allow me to moonlight to supplement both my income and experience.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of when Katie was born. We started with a Dr. we had seen once or twice. At shift change, we ended up with a Dr. we had never seen delivering Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I had never met any of these patients before they came into the hospital for labor. I at least met them before delivery time, though.

    ReplyDelete