Saturday, July 9, 2011

Getting Old Is Tough

I've always been a pretty healthy person and in general this still holds true today. However I am starting to have more and more health problems. Granted, they are all minor and not life threatening, but still things are happening to me health wise that I never had to deal with in the past. I am currently on 4 prescription medicines. Most of my health issues are dermatological in nature. I have a steroid cream for some random rash I was getting last summer/fall which has pretty much resolved. I am on an antibiotic for this boil that popped up a few weeks ago that had a pretty large area of cellulitis around it and I was afraid it might be MRSA. The antibiotics quickly took care of it. I still use topical antibiotics for my face for acne. Yes, even in my late 20s I still get pimples. Very annoying. My fourth prescription is a steroid eye drop. I have had minor problems with my right eye off and on for the past few years. Over the past month, however, the problems escalated to the point where I couldn't wear my contacts and thus had to wear glasses. I went to the eye doctor last weekend and was diagnosed with Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis. Today is the first day in two weeks that I've worn contacts and so far it is going well. I am supposed to use the steroid drops for another week and switch to a different contact solution. In addition to these problems the toe I injured a couple of years ago still looks ugly (I think it might have a fungal infection) and that damn wart is still on my thumb! I honestly cannot get rid of it and I've tried everything. I think I am going to make an appointment and have it surgically removed again, for the third time. Again, all of these problems are minor and not serious health conditions but I didn't have to deal with any of these annoyances 3 to 5 years ago. Sometimes I wonder if I have a vitamin or mineral deficiency that is causing all of these random things to happen.

On a side note, I had a last minute rotation change. Instead of doing internal medicine I am doing pulmonology, which is considered a medicine selective (sub-specialty). I am happy with this switch honestly. I've done medicine several times in the past at my hospital and think it's more beneficial to work with some other people to get a different perspective. Plus I still get medicine when I work the weekends. I see a ton of people in my clinic who have COPD so I think it will be good experience overall. My attending is fellowship trained in pulmonology and critical care medicine. He has a bit of an unusual clinic in that he employs a lot of physician assistants who seem to do a lot of work for him. With that being said I still think it should be good.

4 comments:

  1. You're the worst patient ever - most of these health problems lingered for months (if not longer) before you did anything about them. And, you said it yourself, "compliance is low." Worst patient ever!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could some kind of allergy be causing the various skin problems?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sarah: Yeah, well you're the worst poster ever!

    @Auntie: Possibly. Especially the rash and eye problems.

    ReplyDelete