Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Z-Pak Linked to Heart Risk

Azithromycin, the antibiotic in the popular Z-Pak is one of the most popular antibiotics prescribibed, mostly for upper respiratory and lung infections.  Subsequently it is also one of the more over-used and inappropriately used antibiotics, in my opinion.  The FDA recently placed a new warning on the medicine for increased risk of malignant heart rhythms, mostly in people who already have heart disease.  It's probably worthwhile mentioning your heart disease if you have any and are prescribed this medicine.  However, this new warning will not prevent me from prescribing it to people who need it (mostly pediatric patients anyway).  If anything, I'll use it to convince adults not to use it.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah it's safe. I have never once seen personally or heard of an adverse cardiac event from taking this medicine, and patients are placed on it all of the time. It is typically taken for a very short duration, 5-10 days, and so I think it is very safe.

      Delete