Tuesday, April 16, 2013

PSA test leads to further procedures, harms: study

The PSA test is the elephant in the room when it comes to men's health.  There are a lot of opinions on the topic and anecdotal stories but the evidence is pretty clear that for the majority of people the test does more harm than good.  This story is old news (see this release from the USPSTF from nearly a year ago) and because the evidence for the test is so low I do not routinely order this test.  The only time I do use it is if men experience LUTS or if a patient specifically requests the test.  If they do request the test, I will order it but we have a discussion on what we are going to do with the results if they are positive before I order the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment