Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Should You Worry About Your Vitamin D Levels?

Along with the gluten-free diet, vitamin testing seems to be very popular as well.  Specifically, testing vitamin d levels.  A large portion of the population where I work seem to be deficient in vitamin d according to lab parameters.  When vitamin d levels are tested and are low then people are frequently put on supplementation.  I have seen doses as high as 50,000 IU once or twice per week.  In general, I agree with most of what this article says about vitamin D.  There have been some loose associations with vitamin d and heart disease and cancer, but nothing to my knowledge of substantial evidence.  Also, I don't know of any study showing morbidity or mortality benefit from vitamin d supplementation.  Until there is more clear cut evidence, I really think testing vitamin d and supplementing with large doses is benefiting the number on the lab page more than it is benefiting the patient.  More on this topic to come for sure in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't vitamin D the sunshine vitamin? They just need to get some more sun.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, but as it turns out it seems to be pretty difficult to get sufficient sunlight to raise vitamin D levels in the winter time.

      Delete
  2. Does sunlight that comes through a window work as as un-obstructed sun light?

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, to my knowledge it doesn't really matter if it comes through a window or not unless maybe if it has strong tint applied.

      Delete