Monday, April 27, 2015
A Friendly Reminder That This Is Allergy Season
Being in primary care is somewhat frustrating during this time of year because we get bombarded with people who have three days of symptoms likely caused by allergies (congestion, runny nose, sore throat, cough) and no real signs of an acute sinus infection (focal pain in one sinus, gum pain, fevers). It's possible that some people have viral sinus infections but still, after just a few days of symptoms and no strong signs of an acute bacterial infection, antibiotics are not warranted. It's amazing to me how easily people forget what these symptoms are like despite having similar symptoms year after year during the spring. There has been a noticeable increase in the number of visits to the office with this type of stuff and I don't think it's because there is a raging bacteria out there infecting everyone's sinuses. I explain this to people and most are accepting of it but some leave upset, usually spouting off something about needing to get better now so they can return to work. This comment ranks up there with some of my other favorites, such as "I don't get fevers when I'm sick" or "My temperature usually runs low so 98.8 degrees is high for me" or "I had a fever but I didn't check my temperature." I've sent the Man upstairs a message about treatments to resolve symptoms immediately. Thus far I haven't had a response.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment