Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Update On Spring 2015 Outdoor Projects

With the spring season here our annual spring outdoor projects have begun.  It's hard to believe this will be the third summer we've been in our house.  The first spring we were busy moving in and getting settled, and last spring we were busy with two infants.  Obviously we're still busy with the kids but this year is setting up to be the most productive season yet.  As the kids get a bit older it becomes a little easier (with planned coordination), especially if we can get help from my parents.

Thus far, I was able to get our outdoor lights working with help from a friend, so that project is finished unless I decide to add more lights in the future.  This is something I might do once we work on our landscaping situation some more.  We started this project last year by bringing in new mulch and removing a large tree that had died and a large bush that we thought was too large for the area.  This year, Sarah and Auntie have been working hard coordinating a plan to advance our front landscaping.  After much discussion I think they've been able to come up with a plan that hopefully we can put into effect in the upcoming weeks.  Additionally, we were able to get some outdoor furniture for our sunroom as well this year.

Lastly, I placed crab grass killer and early grass feed on the yard a few weeks ago.  I've noticed some dandelions appear over the past week so I am planning on spraying a broad leaf herbicide on the yard in the near future.  However, due to work requirements, kid requirements, and frequent rain that interferes with the few available times I have to mow the lawn, we've decided to have a service mow it for me during the spring and early summer seasons.  I'll likely take over after that.  Part of me feels defeated as the yard is supposed to be my domain, but the reality is that there is only so much time in the week to divide all responsibilities.  I will say, the yard looks much, much nicer this year compared to last spring.  Much fuller, greener, and less weeds.

My goal is to have these projects finished before Memorial day weekend when I have the race crew over.  Historically over the past two years we were mostly able to finish our spring projects by then.  I've already begun thinking of projects for upcoming years, including updating our backyard landscaping and enlarging our patio in the backyard.  There is always something that could be done.  I try not to let things drive me crazy and take the projects one season at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment