Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The End of the Knick


Suffice it to say I was quite surprised to see Dr. John Thackery die at the end of the season 2 finale.  Of course, he was performing surgery on himself, but I didn't think he would actually die.  How can the show go on with him dead?  I think the answer is that it cannot go on.  He is the main character and star of the show.  It would be like House without House.  This is a damn shame because The Knick is currently my favorite show on TV.  The turn of the 20th century medical drama was fascinating to watch.  It had a unique look (undoubtedly because of the cameras used or filters or something of the sort - I don't know enough about film production to get more technical than saying it looked cool), an out of place soundtrack that somehow fit perfectly with the show, and great acting and writing.  While season 2 wasn't as good as season 1, it was still good.  Good enough to be on TV for sure.  Plus the storylines became increasingly interesting up to the very end, when Thackery died.  I knew it was over at that point.

I've read some interviews that talked about other writers continuing the storylines from the show and putting their own spin on the story.  I hope that doesn't happen.  Part of what makes the Knick great is its uniqueness.  Changing that will just make for a disappointment.  Look no further than True Detective.

No comments:

Post a Comment