I've never been huge on New Year's resolutions, though I get the point. Entering a new year is an opportunity to "start fresh" and make improvements. One thing I've thought about doing for the past couple of years is reading more. I think it would make me more informed and overall a better person. This idea was sparked from the Leadership Academy I attended in 2018-2019, where reading was emphasized and it was mentioned several times how one of the things great leaders and CEOs have in common is that they read a lot. I enjoy reading, so the idea of reading more is appealing. The problem I've always had with reading is that I'm not a fast reader and I have a lot of other hobbies: sports, video games, Star Wars, etc.
Sarah is a big reader. She says to make it easy I should read about a topic I enjoy. I think I'm going to give this a try. To start, I bought 80/20 Running, a book recommended by Tommy Rivs about a training method where you train moderately 80% of the time and with high intensity only 20% of the time. Apparently running is a hobby of mine now.
I have a list of several leadership books I could read as well. Some might perceive this as boring, but I think reading them makes me a better person so I will likely throw one into the mix here and there. More exciting, however, was yesterday's release of the Star Wars: The High Republic books and comics. Talk about things I'm interested in! The series of books takes place in the Skywalker universe, but 200 years earlier than the Phantom Menace. I'm a little apprehensive about reading Star Wars books just because of the weird names of the people and places. There is a lot of excitement about this series, and would be a great way to jump back into the Star Wars universe and be introduced to new stories. This is on my radar for sure.
We shall see how this goes. I've had this idea in the past and it has fizzled, but I feel a bit more dedicated to it this time. Even if I read a handful of books throughout the year, it will be an improvement.
No comments:
Post a Comment