I never got into comic books as a child. I was much more interested in video games and baseball cards. I was aware of their existence but if my memory is correct, they weren't as prevalent in everyday culture when I was a kid as they are now. Subsequently, when DC and Marvel comics started putting out movies at a blistering rate, I wasn't really that interested. I watched a couple of the X-Men movies and Spiderman movies from the early 2000s but that is it. Otherwise, I am oblivious to the comic book universe.
Around the holidays, HBO Max and the makers of Wonder Woman had an advertisement blitz around Wonder Woman 1984. I took the bate. I had just finished The Mandalorian season 2 and have watched all of the Clone Wars and Rebels animated episodes, so was out of Star Wars content to consume. The first Wonder Woman movie happened to be on TNT and I watched a bit of it, and decided to get involved in the comic book universe for the first time. As if I needed something else to add to my plate.
Turns out I don't have great access to Wonder Woman and the DC Universe, but I do have great access to Marvel through Disney+. I started watching movies from the Marvel Cinematic Universe in chronologic order according to the storyline. So far, I've watched Captain America, Captain Marvel, and The Avengers. It was pointed out to me by a buddy of mine and my wife, that I should watch them in order of appearance. I plan to switch my approach to accommodate this recommendation, so next I will watch Iron Man, the first movie in the MCU.
I was certainly naive to the number of movies that existed in the MCU. It's nearly 30 movies, and new content continues to be produced, including the recently released WandaVision, which is on my radar as well. Three movies into this trip, I'd say the movies are pretty good. As mentioned, I have zero background or expectations as I watch these films, and thus subtle items within the movies could easily not register with me. With that being said, the movies have been entertaining thus far.


No comments:
Post a Comment