Often times, listening to the music is one of the best parts of playing through a video game. For some games, the music can be so good that it becomes the most memorable and nostalgic part of the game. Because of this, I frequently listen to the soundtracks of my favorite games on YouTube. The songs of my favorite games will actually get stuck in my head, and listening to the soundtrack is a great way to revisit the game.
I was excited when I came across Kotaku's Morning Music feature. One of their first posts featured music from Sim City 4. This intrigued me, as I've been playing that game for nearly two decades and have never thought much about the music. This is much different than other gaming series that I've played over many years, like the Legend of Zelda games. After reading the article, I started listening to the music. This was the first time I've listened to the music outside of the context of the game. The article is right. The music from the game is quite fantastic, and has been under appreciated by me. I've played this game so much that even my wife recognizes the source of the music. Over the past few weeks I've been listening to the soundtrack in the background while doing other tasks, and have begun to appreciate the brilliance of the soundtrack. Video game music has the power of nostalgia, giving soundtracks instant attachment to memories of the games I love and enjoy. This is what makes it so great.

No comments:
Post a Comment