Spider-Man, where the **** have you been? After finishing the main X-Men movies, I was planning on watching the Wolverine movies and Deadpool. However, Spider-Man has been in the news a lot lately with his new movie and I am eager to see it, especially since it ties into the MCU. I decided to watch the Wolverine and Deadpool movies at a later time, and instead focus on the Spider-Man movies, starting with the 2002 film Spider-Man, in the Tobey Maguire/Sam Raimi era.
Prior to my current Marvel kick (which started exactly a year ago), I can remember watching three Marvel movies: X-Men & X-Men 2, and Spider-Man. When watching Spider-Man, I remember enjoying the film and thinking that the Marvel movies and characters were something I could be interested in. Then, for some reason, I let 20 years go by before I watched any additional movies. Watching this film again was a bit like walking down memory lane, and I enjoyed it now like I did back in 2002.
I remember loving Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin character, and that hasn't changed. Willem plays a great villain, and his Green Goblin cackle is fantastic. The relationship between Peter, Harry, and Mary Jane makes the rival between Spider-Man and Green Goblin feel more important, though Peter's awkwardness in the scenes with Mary Jane can be a bit tough to watch. Despite not seeing any of the other movies yet, I read where Harry becomes a bit of a villain himself, which makes sense based on how this movie ended.
I like Spider-Man as a character and am looking forward to watching the subsequent movies, especially as they progress to tie into the MCU. Below are a couple of random thoughts about the movie.
- I forgot how the Green Goblin makes Norman insane. He doesn't physically transform into a different person or beast. Instead, his mind transforms into a different personality. This is much different than a lot of Marvel villains, and I think it is pretty cool.
- After Norman drinks the solution that turns him into the Green Goblin, and during a scene where his mind is battling with the Goblin's voice, he throws his glass, shattering the container, instead of just simply sitting it down. I don't know why, but I got a kick out of this.
- Norman being a successful industrialist and head of a company bidding for a military contract to make a super soldier, is a classic Marvel and comic villain back story. It's right up there with the always occurring nuclear accident.
- J.K. Simmons portrayal of the lead editor at the Daily Bugle was fantastic. The few scenes he was in were highly entertaining. Hopefully his character returns.
No comments:
Post a Comment