Saturday, April 15, 2023

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

 


I was excited to see this movie after I saw the first trailer. I don't go to the theater often, but we found ourselves with a free afternoon in chilly Milwaukee and decided to take the opportunity to watch the film in the theater. I really enjoyed the movie. It was loaded with Mario Easter Eggs, and referenced a ton of aspects from the games. Just hearing the music and sound effects from the games is enough to make me smile. I saw where the movie was criticized about its thin plot, but keep in mind that (a) this is a movie for kids, and (b) this was a movie about the Mario Bros., a game that isn't exactly known for its heavy plots. This is not The Last of Us. The other area where I heard a lot of criticism was the selection of Chris Pratt as the voice for Mario. I was also a bit confused by this decision initially. But after hearing his performance when I watched the movie, I think he did a good job. I couldn't really tell it was Chris Pratt, he just sounded like Mario to me. I especially thought Jack Black did a great job with Bowser.

Overall, I thought this movie was a ton of fun. I enjoyed the game references, from the on screen Easter Eggs to the music, and I thought it was well made. There were subtle features, such as when the camera went to a side scrolling view to show Mario platforming through an area of Brooklyn, which were a nice nod to the games without feeling like the movie was trying too hard. Also, my kids enjoyed the movie as well, which is what it is all about in reality. This movie plays on nostalgia for people my age, but it really is a kids movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment