Monday, June 26, 2023

Ted Lasso (Season 3)

 


Ted Lasso is one of the few positive things that I will remember about the pandemic. Releasing in 2020, I remember the enjoyment I got watching this show while being stuck at home. This is a show based around a football (soccer) club in west London, but is really about people and being a good person. It has plenty of laughs, but also plenty of heartfelt moments and lessons learned. I think the timing of this show was just perfect in terms of what was and still is going on in the world.

Focusing specifically on season 3, I read some criticism of this season. I thought the first half of this season was a step backwards in terms of quality when compared to previous seasons. It wasn't bad, per se, but the previous two season set the mark really high and I don't think the first 5-6 episodes of this season quite reached that mark. The jokes and dialogue felt a bit stale, and I wasn't overly interested in Keeley's story arc. However, the second half of the season was quite good and felt more like the Ted Lasso we had come to know and love. I found myself really rooting for Ted and the good guys in this show, and rooting against Rupert and the bad guys. It's a testament to how good the writing is on the show.

As the season progressed, the rumor was that this was to be the last season of the show. In the final couple of episodes, a lot of storylines were wrapped up and it certainly felt like the end of these characters, unless a spin-off series occurs. I am completely fine with this being the end. Lasso has been one of my favorite recent shows, but I think the stories told with these characters have reached the point where anything additional would start to feel forced. I think ending the show now makes sense. Ted Lasso was just a perfect show for the times, one that I will miss but will remember fondly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment