Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Falling Apart

I've never spent too much time in a doctor's office as a patient. This is partly because my dad would treat us when we were younger and had minor problems like sinus infections. It's also partly because I am young and pretty healthy and just haven't had a need to go to the doctor. With that being said, I have noticed a general decline in my overall health over the past few years. Nothing major has happened, just small things here and there. I think I have been spending too much time reading and learning how to take care of other people that I have forgotten to take care of myself. Now that I am going to be stationary at least for the next few years, I thought it was time to finally take care of some stuff.

When I woke up this morning, everything was fine. I put in my left contact, and before I was able to put in the right contact my left eye became severely irritated. This is the second time in about six weeks that this has happened to my left eye, and third time overall. Last time Sarah could see something trapped under my eye lid, but she couldn't see anything this time. Sarah drove me down to the hospital where I work but unfortunately the one doctor I was going to see was in a meeting. As we were waiting, I was talking with another doctor about it and he suggest that I go see an ophthalmologist since this has happened twice in the past couple of months. I thought that sounded like a good idea so I scheduled an appointment for this afternoon. In the meantime, my eye now feels much better, although it is still a little irritated. I am really hoping he says I have a corneal abrasion and that it is just coincidence that it happened twice so close together. I hope it isn't something wrong with my contacts. It just seems weird to me that I would have such severe reactions to an eye lash being in my eye. Most people just blink their eyes a couple of times and the lash falls out.

Secondly, I have had a wart on my right thumb for nearly two years. I have never in my life had a wart and I really think I picked this thing up from a patient while on rotations. Anyway, I have tried everything imaginable to get rid of this thing. I have tried compound W and over the counter freezing stuff from the pharmacy. I have tried duck tape and covering it in Aspirin. I have tried freezing stuff at doctor's offices. I have even had it surgically cut out and it returned. This thing is really challenging modern medicine. For whatever reason, my body is refusing to mount a immunologic response on the distal part of my thumb. I keep on thinking it will eventually go away, but it won't! It doesn't bother me much other than it is an eye sore so I am prepared to get really aggressive with it now. I have an appointment next Monday with a family doctor to try to get rid of it. I am also using this as an excuse to establish a family doctor that way whenever random stuff like this goes wrong I will have someone to turn to.

Once the wart is gone, I have a subungual hematoma on my right great toe that has been there since last August. I keep thinking that the nail will grow out and take the dried blood with it, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I can't notice any change in it since it first appeared. It didn't bother me much during the winter months, and it never hurt, but now that summer is approaching I wouldn't mind wearing sandals occasionally and this thing is hideous looking. So I need to get that taken care of too.

Here in a few months, when my dental insurance kicks in, I need to make an appointment with a dentist too. See what I mean about random things going wrong? I didn't have these problems while in college, and they are so random too. I probably need to start exercising too as my cardiovascular stamina is as low as it has ever been in my life, but that is a whole different topic.

5 comments:

  1. Well I just spent $40 to be told there was nothing wrong with my eye. I figured there wasn't anything wrong with it. Shortly after I called to make the appointment the eye started to feel much better, and now is practically 100%. It doesn't even look irritated. Oh well. I guess no news is better than bad news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are prone to getting warts, you should ware gloves when handling toads (that's were you get them, right?). About the subungual hematoma, you should have drilled a hole in your nail to let the blood out. It makes it hurt a lot less and 've never had it last that long after letting the blood out. Maybe we can do something with it the next time your down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must have been asleep when I commented. wear your gloves, it's I've never and it will be be the next you're down. I should never comment at 11:46 PM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My toe nail never hurt which is why I didn't bother with it. I don't know what they will do now because the blood is obviously dry so I don't think it will drain with a simple hole. It might involve removing part of the nail. Man, I hate toe and foot stuff, especially when it involves my own toes and feet, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwww.....you're finally really grown up! Things are starting to fall apart!! lol It's all downhill from here; welcome to the club.
    Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete