Friday, August 7, 2020

I Exercise Now


I played some sports in high school but haven't really exercised since.  Quite honestly I'm not a huge fan of exercising.  Have never really enjoyed it.  I hit my peak physical shape while in high school.  Fast forward 20 years to the current, and I haven't really exercised since.  Because of a decent diet and better genes, I haven't gained much weight.  However, I am not fit at all.  Think skinny fat or dad bod.

A couple of years ago Sarah bought a basic treadmill and I began jogging on it a few times per week.  She then upgraded to a NordicTrack with a screen.  This allows you to follow a trainer through a series of workouts and the treadmill automatically adjusts the speed and elevation for you.  This has been a game changer for me.

One night I was sitting on the couch and thinking about how I do nothing after I get home from work except sit around.  On most weekends, I am pretty sedentary.  I was thinking something had to change.  This thought is what got me started with running.

I hate running.  I have never enjoyed it.  However, this is the first time I've interacted with a trainer and it has made a huge difference.  For the first time in my running experience I am not just running to run.  I have a goal.  The trainers have taught me so much about running, from RPE levels (rate of perceived exertion) to intervals to recovery runs, etc.  Smart devices now allow for easy calculation of heart rate, distance, etc.  The most important thing I've learned is to be consistent.  You don't have to train for a marathon or break a leg so to speak, just be consistent in your training.  Often times, a light to moderate 30 minute jog is just as beneficial as a work-your-butt-off run where you collapse at the end.  

When I started this, I wanted to become less sedentary, increase my fitness a bit, and reduce stress and improve sleep.  I think I've accomplished all of that.  I went from jogging a couple of times per week to consistently running, following training programs, 5-6 days per week.  My fitness isn't quite where I want it but I am close.  I am tackling runs now I never would have when I first started.  My next challenge will be to come up with a new goal to accomplish with my runs.  

I did want to take a moment to talk about Tommy Rivers Puzey.  Of all the trainers I follow, he is the most interesting. He has a background in geology and a degree in physical therapy, and is one of those guys who just has a lot of random experiences in life that gives him different perspectives than most.  Kind of hard to explain, you just have to follow him.  He has taught me the most about the best approach to running and training out of all the trainers on iFit.  Unfortunately, he is currently battling a rare cancer so Sarah and I have him in our thoughts as he goes through treatment.  We're really hoping he can pull through and get back on the road again!


No comments:

Post a Comment