Wednesday, August 26, 2020

F1: 2020 and Physical Video Game Discs

 


Ever since the days of the Sega Genesis, I never understood why sports games released a new version on a yearly basis.  I'm sure the answer is sales, but from my perspective if a game was good I could get a solid two years of gameplay out of the game and pretty easily skip the next release.  Generally next year's game only had small updates, and it always made sense to me to wait until the game series had a big update to purchase the newest version.  This thought process seems to be especially true in the era of connected consoles.

I'm bringing this up because this is the thought process I've used for the F1 games since the beginning.  I typically buy a new game every other year, skipping a year in between.  Most of the time I am still enjoying the old game after two years, but by that time there have been enough new features added to the new one that I feel that it is worth the price for the upgrade.  This is what happened this year as I transitioned from F1 2018 to F1 2020.

I want to spend a few minutes talking about the game.  The game is fantastic and if you're a fan of the series you will like this game.  It's the best game of the series, which is great as this series never seems to take a misstep.  It is always moving forward.  The biggest update is team mode, where you get to create a new F1 team and participate as an owner/driver.  Think franchise mode in Madden.  It's an interesting addition and one that adds a lot of depth to the game. On-track, the game is much better about how it handles safety cars and virtual safety cars, and the weather transitions are the best in the series.  If I have to nit-pick, the on-screen graphics, while pretty, serve a TV audience and are somewhat difficult to view while driving the car.  That's a minor complaint.  Overall this game is quite good.

I waited a week or so after the game was released to buy it, but it never came available on Amazon which is a bit odd.  Probably something related to corona.  I finally got inpatient and decided to download it from the Playstation store.  I have been reluctant to do this in the past for several reasons.  My experience downloading Gran Turismo 6 for the PS3 was not good.  It took around 24 hours and I had to restart the download a couple of times. Also, games are huge these days and consoles have somewhat limited HD space.  But there is also an element of ownership that I've had a hard time letting go.  I still enjoy owning the disc or cartridge.  I let go of this with CDs several years ago and F1 2020 is the game where I've decided to let go of this for games as well.

Since my bad experience with downloading Gran Turismo 6, I have faster internet, a new router, and better hardware in the PS4.  I have since downloaded a few games on Steam and Origin without trouble, and had no trouble downloading F1 2020.  It took 4-5 hours, but I just let it run overnight so that wasn't a big deal.  The big advantage of downloading the game is that you can turn on the system and are ready to play.  You don't have to swap discs or cartridges, which happens all of the time at my house as my kids use my PS4 as a DVD player.  Plus, I'm running out of space to store all of my cases.  I have read that this has become the dominant way to purchase games, and I'm on board.  I've likely purchased my last physical video game.

No comments:

Post a Comment