I'm a huge baseball fan and I love numbers and stats so this story immediately appealed to me. I read the book several years ago after I finished residency and transitioned into regular practice and I was quite slow. The book was very good and opened my eyes on how to interpret baseball stats. As I watch baseball in current times, no question the thought processes mentioned in this book are in play with modern stats mentioned every game such as OPS, WAR, etc. Bottom line, traditional stats like hitting percentage are overrated and stats that reflect how often a player gets on base are more relevant. Makes sense, especially considering scoring relies on getting on base and how you get on base is irrelevant.
From a pure story perspective, casting the A's as underdogs with a low budget against the AL giant Yankees is an easy sell and makes sense. Their success with their limitations and the approach they used is worth the praise and I think should be celebrated.
In terms of a movie, I thought the movie was OK. Enjoyable, but I can't see it appealing to non baseball fans, and if you really want to get the inside story, reading the book would be much better. This is the case for many movies, but I think for Moneyball it is especially true. If you are not a baseball fan, I'd say bypass. If you are a baseball fan, it's OK to watch, but you'd be much more satisfied reading the book.

No comments:
Post a Comment