Saturday, September 19, 2020

Radiohead's Top 20 Songs: In Rainbows

 


In Rainbows is my favorite Radiohead album.  It released in 2007 right after I graduated college and likely in the peak of my Radiohead fandom.  The tour that accompanied this album was the first time I saw Radiohead live. By this point in my Radiohead journey I had become a big enough fan that I was looking forward to new albums and not just discovering their old stuff. When I heard this album for the first time I immediately loved it.  This is somewhat unique in that often times it takes a few listens before I fall in love with their music.  It's complex enough that I don't think I can fully grasp the songs until I hear them a few times.  This album was different.  Its songs grabbed me like Vader choking one of his fellow Empire comrades - it is that good.

I do want to take a brief moment to discuss how the album was sold.  By the time this album was released the peak of the MP3 era had passed.  However, illegal MP3 downloads still existed and people were used to paying nothing for music at that point.  Kudos for Radiohead for releasing this album as a digital download where you could name your own price, even if it was nothing.  I think I paid $10 for my digital download.

This album featured more songs on my top 20 list than any of the other albums.  No surprise based on the aforementioned praise.  We start the list with Bodysnatchers, which has one of my all time favorite Radiohead guitar hooks.  Every time I hear this song I think of Thom rocking out and bobbling his head.  Weird Fishes/Arpeggi is next.  Unique mix of upbeat drums in the background with mellow guitar and vocals that slowly crescendo in volume as the song progresses. All I Need with that amazing bells part that starts mid-way and the piano part that starts towards the end of the song. Reckoner with the great samba drum and percussion in the background.  Jigsaw Falling Into Place, which honestly is a song that has grown on me over the years after seeing live performances.  Honorable mention includes 15 Step, Videotape, and House Of Cards. Truly one of my favorite modern albums and favorite Radiohead albums.  If I needed to introduce someone to Radiohead, this is the album I would tell them to listen to.



No comments:

Post a Comment