Wednesday, September 30, 2020

iOS 14 & Apple Watch Series 6

 


I've been using iPhone since the 4S (before that I had a Samsung Windows phone, can you imagine?).  In that time I've had a 4S, a 6S, and now an X.  I'm not going to spend time discussing the iPhone, as everyone is familiar.  I will say, however, it is amazing to watch how the iOS software has advanced through the years.  Seeing video or screenshots of how the iOS looked in the past makes it look archaic compared to today's version.  Case in point: iOS 14.  Ever since I've owned an iPhone I made it a goal to only have one screen of apps.  I would have a folder that contained any additional apps that wouldn't fit on my home screen.  With iOS 14, that problem is solved with the app drawer.  Plus, I can now put widgets on my home screen which allows me to see additional information about that is going on that day without getting into the app.  While this takes up more screen space, I still only have one page of apps because I can push lesser used apps to the app drawer.  While it's my understanding that Android devices have been able to do this for years, I don't really care about that.  This iOS update has changed how I use my phone, and for the better.

Moving onto the Apple Watch.  I bought my first Apple Watch in 2017.  I had a gift card to the Apple store and didn't need a computer or tablet at the time.  Series 3 had just come out but I wasn't sure if I would even like the watch so I decided to get the Series 1.  Turns out I really like the watch and how it integrates with the iPhone.  It is especially useful while at work.  At this point, however, the Series 1 was starting to feel a bit dated and I don't think Apple is supporting it anymore so I decided to update to the recently released Series 6.  From an app perspective, I don't see a lot of major changes between the two watches.  From a hardware perspective, however, the Series 6 is a big step-up from the Series 1.  It is amazing how a few millimeters in size can make such a big difference.  The Series 6 screen feels markedly bigger than the Series 1.  It is also more responsive with swipes and button clicks and significantly faster.  The EKG and O2 sensors are amazing as well.  It's just amazing to see how the hardware and to a lesser extent, the software advances with this device in a relatively short amount of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment