I purchased my 3DS in 2018, a full 7 years after the system's initial release in 2011. I was in-between games on the Switch and PS4, and Nintendo had just released a Hyrule edition of the system with A Link Between Worlds included for under $200. A Link Between Worlds got good reviews and it was a Zelda game that I had never played before. Additionally, the 3DS shop had access to numerous other Zelda titles that I had never played before, mostly on prior hand held systems. I decided to buy the old system for these reasons and am glad that I did so. I dominated the system's old Zelda and Mario games for a solid 18 months.
What a quirky system. By 2018 the system felt quite dated. It did not have HD graphics. It had two screens and most of the time I wasn't sure what to do with the second screen. The clamshell design felt dated. It wasn't exactly fast at loading or saving. I could go on and on. But it had an extensive gaming library, was easy to pick up and play, and was just fun. As with many other Zelda fans, I love the music in Zelda games. The fact that I could pay $1.99 and get a Twilight Princess background that plays music from the game was great. Every time I opened the system and heard the music, it made me smile.
I didn't get the opportunity to play many 3DS original games except for A Link Between Worlds and Animal Crossing, but having access to many of the older Zelda and Mario games from 2000-2010 that I had not previously played was a treat. I was able to get through all of my games on my wishlist except for Oracle of Ages, which I will likely try to pick-up soon before the store closes.
What a great system. It is rather old and with the Switch being portable it's not a surprise at all that they are moving on and retiring the 3DS. I hesitated to buy it since it was so old in 2018 but am glad that I did. It was rather quite enjoyable to play.

No comments:
Post a Comment