Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Daredevil: Season 1

 


At times I feel like I'm the only person in America who doesn't have access (paid or unpaid) to Netflix. I was excited when it was announced the Marvel shows from Netflix were going to be moved to Disney+. However, there are a lot of them and I wasn't sure how many would involve the MCU, so wasn't sure how many of them I would watch. Once I learned that Matt Murdock's character appeared in Spider-Man: No Way Home, and hear rumors of a new Daredevil series in development, I decided to watch the Netflix show. It didn't hurt that the show got good ratings as well. From reading about other Marvel characters, I knew Daredevil was a major character in the Marvel universe. Much beyond that, however, I knew very little about the character since he hasn't appeared in the MCU. Luckily, the show does a good job of mingling the main plot with Matt's background, explaining why he is blind and how he got his heightened senses and fighting skills. It was a great introduction not only to the Daredevil character, but also to Wilson Fisk. Fisk is also a major Marvel character. His appearance in Hawkeye was my introduction to the character, and that appearance was another reason why I wanted to watch this show, to get better background on him as he is likely to appear again in the MCU.

This was my first non-Disney Marvel show, and it is dark. Most of the MCU shows to date on Disney+ have been light-hearted. This one is the complete opposite: violent and dark. In fact, it is often times so dark you can barely even see what is on screen. There were times when I literally asked myself why they didn't just turn on the lights. The violence can be over the top, which sometimes is a bit of a turn off for me. However, generally speaking this show was quite good. Its genre on Disney+ is listed as film noir, and is almost more of a gangster show than a superhero show. Both Charlie Cox as Murdock, and Vincent D'Onofrio as Fisk, were fantastic in their roles. While most of the superhero villains are fun, they can be a bit over the top at times. It was refreshing to see an antagonist like Fisk, who has exceptional strength but otherwise is just a normal person. It made the entire story feel more real and gritty.

Season 1 was well written, well acted, and the plot was good. It was a great introduction to some major Marvel characters, and now that they are appearing in the MCU, there is incentive to continue to watch. I'm going to take a detour to watch Moon Knight, but I'll be back for season 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment