Despite being quite familiar with other rock albums from the time, Radiohead's 1995 album The Bends was never on my radar. It wasn't until I discovered Radiohead with their 2000 album Kid A that I retroactively discover The Bends. It's a solid rock album overall.
Fake Plastic Trees and Street Spirit (Fade Out) are the highlights for me on this album. They play these songs often on the concerts they released during the pandemic, so it is possible that may have influenced my decision. Because I only had 20 songs to choose from, these two beat out a number of other sold offerings from the album, including High and Dry, Sulk, and Black Star. In my earlier days, Planet Telex was also a favorite of mine. Overall a solid rock album and quite a bit better than Pablo Honey. I'm surprised it never gained much traction in the States. The worse part of the album is the cover art. I'm not sure what is going on there. Is it a mannequin with EKG leads attached, or Matrix ports? Who knows?

No comments:
Post a Comment