Sunday, December 6, 2020

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

 


After finishing the animated series Rebels, the movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was the next chapter in the Star Wars cannon to view.  I was excited to see the film for the first time as I've heard nothing but good things about the movie.  I was not disappointed.

The story takes place just a few days prior to the events of A New Hope and explains how the Rebels acquired the plans to the Death Star in order to defeat the massive weapon.  Interesting to me was the role that Saw Guerra played in helping the Rebels with their mission.  Saw has been an anti-Empire figure since the Clone Wars, but is a bit of an extremist and his actions usually don't align with the greater Rebel cause.  This remains the case in Rogue One, but his character plays an important role in connecting the Rebels to the Death Star's weakness.

Visually speaking, this movie looks amazing.  I particularly liked the screens that introduced the planets, which had the planet name and a short description on screen.  It is a different approach from the typical screen swipe that is seen in other Star Wars films and gave the universe a greater sense of size, in my opinion.  


The movie was well received by critics, with the biggest criticism being the lack of character development and dialogue.  In retrospect this is true, but I never really noticed while watching. The story told in this movie is good by itself, but generally is swallowed by the larger story that is the Star Wars universe.  Therefore, the Rebels are the protagonist and the Empire is the antagonist.  I don't feel like a lot of character development or dialogue is needed.  We already knew that the Empire won the Clone Wars and that somehow Leia acquired the plans to the Death Star, which kicked off the events of the original trilogy.  Exactly how she had those plans to upload into R2 was a mystery until Rogue One, and the film did an excellent job of telling the story.  How badass was the final scene where Vader was chasing after the plans before they were passed onto Leia? 

No comments:

Post a Comment